See also Past Events.
Beginning Marimba Class
- Class: Beginning Marimba Fundamentals
- When: Monday evenings 7:30-9:00 and Tuesday afternoons 4:00-5:30
Sunday, January 29, 2017
Introductory Nyunga Nyunga Workshop
- Date: Sunday, January 29, 2017
- Time: 10:00 to 11:30 am
- Location: Kutsinhira Center, The Village School, 3411 Willamette Street, Eugene, Oregon (see map & directions)
- Cost: See below.
Nyunga nyunga is smaller than the mbira dzavadzimu and with fewer keys, making it easier to learn. Using Dumisani Maraire’s perspective and materials for teaching nyunga nyunga, this 1.5-hour class will provide a foundation for future learning. Content includes: history of the nyunga nyunga, Shona musical texture, striking technique, learning the 6 tones and their relationships, how to listen to the polyphony, and piece structure. It could be very useful for a beginner or for someone returning to the instrument.
Maggie Donahue is the instructor. The cost will be the same as for marimba classes: $14/class for Kutsinhira members, $16/class for non-members.
The continuing nyunga nyunga series has been scheduled to follow the intro class. Four 1-hour classes will be offered on Sundays, from 10:30 to 11:30 am, on Feb. 5 and 12; other dates to be determined. Wanda Walker is the instructor.
The cost for these 1-hour classes will be $10/class for members if a minimum of two classes are prepaid for the term, $12/class for non-members prepaid, and $15/class as a drop-in (please contact instructor first).
Saturday, June 17, 2017
Kutsinhira’s Almost Annual Yard Sale
- Date: Saturday, June 17, 2017
- Time: 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Location: 3480 Kincaid, Eugene OR
All proceeds go to Kutsinhira to offer classes, conduct the residency program, and send humanitarian assistance to Zimbabwe.
What we need
- Household goods, sports equipment, gardening supplies, electronics, children’s toys, books, music, furniture, art supplies, tools, instruments…..
- Items need to be gently used, fully functional, and clean.
- Note on jewelry. We work with a trusted buyer who will take even broken pieces, single earrings and costume jewelry.
- Note on clothing. Since used clothing can be more labor intensive than is worthwhile, we ask for only resale quality.
- If it will fit in a Prius, you can bring items to the Center anytime. Look for the Yard Sale box
- Drop off to Maggie’s carport anytime after June 1st
- Do you know someone who is downsizing his/her home or lightening up? Please let them know!
Post your event here
Send your upcoming event announcements to firstname.lastname@example.org that are pertinent to Kutsinhira Cultural Arts Center and Zimbabwean music & culture. Tatenda!
See also Past Events.